Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The "Man"

GAY MUSING OF THE DAY

The "Man"

This is a common subject talked about: no, there is not a man in the relationship, because that's the point. A lot of people get really sensitive: "Stop applying your patriarchal assumptions to non-straight relationships". I honestly use this as an opportunity to make a general observation that applies to all relationships, based on my experiences. I believe that almost every romantic interaction has the "courter/inducer", typically a guy in hetero situations, or the more androgynous/masculine one in non-hetero. Or, it is the more confident one, someone with more experience/sexual prowess: sometimes a girl in hetero situations, or the less masculine/androgynous one in non-hetero situations. Additionally, this person is typically more "dominant" or "leading in the relationship". Like if my partner has been with a lot more girls than me/better at sex/more aggressive in sex, than I respect their prominence. Or I take the lead when I am with someone who has recently come out/shyer than me.

So is there a man in the couple? No, but there is someone more prominent. This is not always the case but it is my experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment